Search This Blog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Superbowl clean foods


CHIPS AND SALSA




I'm really excited for the Superbowl tomorrow. I mean, I hate professional football, but I'm excited to see two brothers coach against each other, and I really like the 49ers. So I'll be glued to the tv one one condition: good clean food to inhale.

Today I'd like to share a recipe that I borrowed from Green Shakes and Giggles. It was very easy to make, and got a standing ovation from my husband, my children, and my brother in law. 

Jacobs Garden Salsa

Recipe HERE


BUT WAIT!!!!!

Before you go making this salsa and not reading the rest of my blog....cause I do it too...I scroll down to the recipe and not read the boring mumbo jumbo of a lot of blogs. (you do it too, don't lie to yourselves....haha) I did make two changes to the recipe. 

1: I added GROUND CUMIN SEED to this recipe. I just love cumin, and to me, salsa isn't salsa without cumin. 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp.

2: I added a touch more jalapeno. Not a whole lot, but the amount in the recipe didn't cut it for us...EVEN after it sat overnight. 

After these two minor changes, the salsa was CONSUMED. I was actually asked to bring this to family dinner tomorrow night. 

NOW.....

What would salsa be without chips?? Here is an easy recipe to make your own chips, and feel like a freakin rockstar! (I can't guarantee people will want you to sign their boobs or anything...but rockstar ENOUGH)

Take a package (or two) of corn tortillas. You can find them pretty much anywhere, but make sure you READ YOUR INGREDIENTS!!!! Find a good compromise, and don't buy them with lots of additives. My rule is LESS than 8 ingredients, and if you can't pronounce the ingredient, DONT FOR THE LOVE BUY IT!  (remember, baby steps....I still have to purchase things that aren't entirely clean...ITS OK! you're not a failure, you're already getting there just by having a DESIRE) 

But I digress....

Package of corn tortillas
cut into wedges
lay out on baking sheet 
Spray olive oil on them ( I had to purchase an oil pump, 20$ at the local spoons and spice and I'm having a hard time thinking of how I would have done the chips without them)
Sea salt-sprinkle over chips

350 degrees for about 10 min...just check them. if they are still soft, let them go a tad more. 

Enjoy your Superbowl!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment