Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Banana Pancakes

We are back to clean eating here, and it feels GREAT. Like I remember, it is more work to prep things...cause we aren't opening boxes here people! But this week has been rewarding and I'm happier in a few ways. We received some great news this week that uplifted our family, I finally got a co-organist LOL(don't you love good news! one time I opened what I thought was a bill, and it was a REFUND OF 431$!!!), so I was glad that I chose this week to start back on the path of clean eating. Its seems to me that things are always easier when you start off the week strong.

Last night, my husband was away at a winter all night campout and at 8:00 when the kids were all tucked in their beds, I immediately took a long hot bath. yeah...I did....and it was AWESOME. I always have a really hard time doing anything for myself because there is always something to do, clean, cook, or organize....so doing something for myself is a huge thing for me. Then I pulled out my sewing machine because my youngest still doesn't have a christmas stocking that I make for all my kids. after thinking about this for a min, I immediately put it away and pulled out all my healthy cookbooks. (ps husband if you're reading this....I was SERIOUS when I put those 2 healthy cookbooks on my christmas list). I lined them up, grabbed my pen and paper and threw on the movie The Holiday. I watched and read and got ideas and just plain got motivated. I climbed into bed around 11:30 and passed out till my baby was up around 4:30.

Have you ever heard the Jack Johnson song "banana pancakes"? I ALWAYS wondered what they were....until last night when I found a recipe that I wanted to try. The recipe was from Gwenyth Paltrow 's cookbook and her recipe was Buckwheat flour banana pancakes. I wanted to try her way, but I didn't have any buckwheat on hand. What I did have was plenty of fresh ground whole wheat flour that I ground yesterday for my whole wheat bread...that was made yesterday. I don't like using vegetable oil, I don't even have it in my home, so there were a couple of changes I made, but the kids and I loved them! The bananas seem to get a little caramelized and super sweet. yum. Without further ado:


Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
adapted from Gwenyth Paltrow's "It's all good" cookbook

1 1/4 C milk (I used cow because I had no almond on hand )
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp canola oil or melted coconut oil
1 Tbsp maple syrup+ more for serving
1 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 thinly sliced bananas

Whisk together the milk, lemon juice, oil and syrup in a small bowl. In a slightly larger bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. (I like to let my mixture sit for 15 or so min...but it isn't necessary). Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium high heat.  Stick it with a bit of oil and ladle in as many pancakes as can fit comfortably. Place a few slices of banana on top of each pancake. Cook for about 2 min on the first side, or until the surface is covered with small bubbles and the underside is nicely browned. Flip and cook for about 1 min on the second side. Repeat the process until you run out of batter. Serve with maple syrup.



On a side note, this would be a great easy pancake (or waffle--just reduce the liquid to make the batter thicker) recipe all on its own, bananas omitted.

Enjoy!!

Niss

No comments:

Post a Comment