Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Blueberry Bliss




I'm not in love with breakfast. There, I said it. Its never been high on my "to do" list. Its also not on any of my bucket lists...yes I have more than one bucket list. But I digress.....

I've been trying a few new breakfast options the last month or so, and I've come across three, yes three, that I'd make again. Today was one of those successes! I made what are called Blueberry Breakfast bars, although, "bars" is a loose term. This turned out more like a cake. (which is a bonus right?? I've always wanted an excuse to eat cake for breakfast.)

I found this recipe from Blendtec
ages ago and tucked it away in the abyss that I call my recipe box. Box meaning the literal term of BOX. I'm not talking about our mothers mothers recipe boxes, I'm talking about a box that I recycled from something I got in the mail. Although, I did go through it the other day and cleaned it all up and started copying recipes from paper to recipe cards...and now we are back to how I found this recipe. wow. don't ever have children, your brain goes all to them, and yet I'm still left wondering how they often choose the wrong choice if they are so darn smart from my brain....oh well....

This breakfast cake is pretty good. I really didn't change anything about the recipe which is hard for me. This is CLEAN, Blueberry-y, and has great stuff in it that you can't even taste...yeah, I just went there. Shall we get started??

1 ripe banana
2 large eggs
1/3 C greek yogurt (I used vanilla flavored)
1/2 C applesauce (I use no sugar added)
2 T coconut oil melted
2/3 C brown sugar packed
1 tsp vanilla

Mix in a blender or with hand beaters until smooth.

Add to above mixture:
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I put more like 3/4 tsp just cause)
2/3 C pecans (thus the hidden items in this cake. I can't get my husband to eat really any kind of nut unless I hide it...it is perfectly hidden in this recipe)

Blend until incorporated. This is where my cake comes in. The picture of the recipe I took it from looked like a granola bar. I must have over ground mine cause mine was a batter. They said you could use this as a granola too, but they lied. There ain't no way you can get a granola from this.

After it is blended or mixed to your preference, fold in:
1 C fresh blueberries
(I didn't have fresh but I always have frozen. I let one cup frozen thaw in my fridge overnight and just used them and a tiny bit of juice the next morning. I found honestly no difference.

Put batter into a greased 9X13 pan. Add 1/4 cup granola to the top of the cake.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 min depending on your oven. A toothpick should come out clean when done.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the kind of cake you'd want to serve for dessert unless you added some frosting or glaze or something...it is a breakfast item. I prepared the cake and popped it into the oven and showered while it baked. This is good warm or cooled off for a mid morning snack...which is how I ate mine. (you know, warm AND as a mid morning snack.)

Much love,

Annisa

No comments:

Post a Comment